Transportation to the port
- Every farmer is responsible for transporting his or her bananas to the port or to the container.
- That means renting a truck alone or sharing it with another farmer. Some farmers own their own trucks.
- If the bananas are taken to the port they are received at Asoguabo’s warehouse where they’re palletizised (loaded onto pallets). The pallets are driven to the dock and loaded onto the ships.
- Some member associations have their own shipment centers in the villages, where they receive the bananas, palletizise them and load them into containers, which are driven to the port and loaded onto the ships.
- Every pallet has room for about 50 boxes, and every container has 1000 boxes.
- If the fruits are loaded into containers in the villages the quality stays better because the transportation is shorter and the bananas don’t stay out in the sun for so long.